Ricardo is a Chartered Engineer with over 30 years’ experience in offshore geotechnical engineering and specialist foundation designs, for Oil & Gas and Renewables.
Often Ricardo’s role is the integration and interpretation of Geophysical and Geotechnics data to assist, manage and de-risk geohazards that impact facilities. This typically involves working with multi-discipline engineers to deliver a quantitative risk assessment within a framework where workshop audiences are engaged and participate. He thoroughly enjoys presenting the data and providing solutions to the geohazards presented (fault-displacement, escarpment crossing characterisation and stability, boulder impact, turbidity current impact).
Specialising in pipe-soil-interaction with sliding foundations (PLETs), he has worked alongside structural and pipeline engineers and with many different geohazard experts gleaning and absorbing the many technical ways of tackling a problem.
Ricardo now enjoys disseminating his many years of industry knowledge and experience to the next generation of engineers. He loves running and runs at least 3 times a week clocking up the miles and tracking his runs on Strava. The impressive completion of the London Marathon in just over 4 hours is evidence of his commitment.
- Recognition awards received by Chevron (pile reassessment and site investigation planning) and Dominion Power (jacket investigation planning and execution).
- Core competence is the interpretation of offshore soils for large developments including Kashagan (rock-islands) and ACG (jackets) in the Caspian Sea.
- Significant foundation design and installation experience (e.g. driven piles, drive/drill/drive piles, drilled & grouted piles, suction caissons, gravity-based structures, monopiles, marine anchors).
- Particular geohazard risk assessment experience with turbidity flows, debris flows, marine landslides, faults, slope stability, shallow gas and seismic assessments.
- Multiple periods spent offshore managing and supervising site surveys and trenching, piling and rock placement operations.
- Author of numerous peer reviewed technical publications.